Sunday, June 19

PUT YOUR FILTER ON! - DON’T LISTEN TO or PARTICIPATE IN GOSSIP/RUMORS



I’m reminded after a recent conversation, of a couple of things that a dear priest friend would remind me of when I was in the thick of my life changing. I worked for a church, a breeding ground for opinions, gossip and rumors. (Prayer concerns!) He used to repeatedly remind me, “Put your filter on! Must you take everything in?” He added, “Must you talk? You Americans talk too much! You give others the ammunition to use against you later.”

What I have since learned is that everyone is not a safe place to share. You need to find a confidant or two where you can share your deepest thoughts, (it’s how some of us process) knowing that our thoughts will be held in strictest confidence, not ever to be shared with another or used against you at a later date.

Otherwise, for the vast majority, the philosophy of “less is more” is best. Think before you speak.

Let’s take it one step further and add, Don’t gossip or start rumors. Don’t tell the story of another. If you find yourself caught in a situation where someone is wanting information about another, I’ve found a good line to use is “It’s not my story to tell.” Who can take issue with that?

So there you have it. A little secret to help you move through life with a bit more ease and peace.

Happy trails.....

No comments:

Post a Comment