Sunday, August 7

Half Dome - 19 Hours Later - We did it! (Part 3)

You may remember from the last blog that Kansas joined our group and with Half Dome in sight, I stood evaluating the situation with my knee. We had to go down before we climbed up the other side to Half Dome. Not only was my knee painful, I knew that I had to also make it back and so with some sadness and disappointment, I chose not to continue. But I did wonder, was any of this caused by fear? After all, Half Dome is a BIG mountain! And I had to wonder, "Was I afraid of other BIG mountains in my life?"
Skellings Michael in Ireland

"But what about hiking Skellings Michael in Ireland?" I began rationalizing with myself. "Doesn't that count for any accomplishment? I know, it's just a large bump of land in the middle of the ocean but it also had a billon stairs and no trees or railings to the top. Okay, Skelligs is only 714 feet abouve sea level and there are only 618 steps not a billon, and it was only 7 miles through what can be rough waters. But you did it even though all your Irish friends said, 'You can't go! It's too dangerous!' You courageously rode the small boat out through the choppy waters and hiked fearlessly to the top. How much scarier could Half Dome be? So could it be fear? I don't think so. It's my knee! It's honoring what my body is telling me without any judgments. Now that's the harder journey!"

More meds for my knee and the group was off and I was left to deal with my hurt pride.  However, a real rest and not feeling the pressure of having to keep up, felt nice. After a bit, all the meds began to make my knee less painful and I said to myself, "Self, you're not stopping here... you're going to go as far as you can go... this time." And so I hiked down the hill and up on the other side to the bottom of Sub Dome. After listening to my story, the ranger, who was checking for permits, said to me, "You can't hike Sub Dome with your knee... it's all stairs!" And of course, I had given my spot away, so there you have it... Divine Order!

My gal pals were having their own adventure. They climbed up the stairs at Sub Dome, then across to Half Dome and pulled themselves upward with the cables. Kansas, took the sweepers position in the group and followed everyone to the top. Exhausted, GI Jane felt like she couldn't go up or down and it was our little angel, Kansas who encouraged and coached her all the way to the top and back down again! Yes, literally... I believe that he was an angel, who arrived just at the time that this weary group of women needed to be supported by masculine energy.
GI Jane was taking the picture!

While waiting, I got what I needed.... rest in nature and solitude. I was able to talk with the people we had met on the trail all day long and privileged to hear their stories of triumph. I became the After Half Dome - designated picture taker. But most importantly, I felt like by my honoring my body, everyone got exactly what they needed! Kansas was beyond grateful for his experience, which was apparent from his hug and GI Jane had a victory that most likely wouldn't have been possible without Kansas! And me, I got to experience God in nature.

With the wise experience of GI Jane and her water purifier, we all made it back to the valley floor with my whining the entire way! The John Muir Trail... the trail never ending trail from hell! Switch back after switch back with no sign of noticeable progress descending. Eventually... 9PM we (me) hobbled back to our cars and I couldn't help but remember that we began this adventure at 3:30AM and it would be 10:30PM when we returned. 19Hours!

Are you kidding me? Who takes that long to he Half Dome? WE DID! Six courageous woman and one angel, all with our own individual experiences that we will never forget. And it is with awe and gratitude that I bow before each and every one for allowing me the honor of this sacred journey together.

And although I was ranting and raving the entire 8 miles DOWN, "I'm never doing this again.... blah, blah, blah.... " we had been taking ibuprofen during the hike, to help curb muscle swelling, so in the morning, we were all feeling pretty good. And as I popped up out of bed I exclaimed,  "OK... how can we make that better next time?"

Happy Trails...

No comments:

Post a Comment