Tuesday, August 30

2016 Summer Tour of Hope - Stuff (Part 2)

We left off last blog with my realizing that while my 22" suitcase held nearly everything that I owned, there was nothing in it that I could remember.

I'm on this tour with my 22" suitcase of my clothes for the next 4-6 months and I've not even used anything from the suitcase. I have a smaller tote to take into where I'm staying and that's all the stuff that I've used so far... and I'm well into over two months into the tour.

Do we surround ourselves with stuff because we think more is better? Because it is a status symbol. Because we can't stand to have empty space around? It's the empty space that makes room for us to feel. We surround ourselves with stuff so we don't have to feel?

Because we can't let go of the past? We're afraid of the future? It was..."Mom's, Dad's, Joe made it, Sue gave it to me... fill in the blank. You're actually saying that others are more important than you're sanity.

Because it feels like love? We can rationalize, I deserve it!

Because its a DEAL? You can always find deals! Guaranteed... Stay out of the stores...  While in Grass Valley, CA, I noticed how many new thrift stores that have popped up since I was last here. Why? Because as a society have so much STUFF and people will pay money for what they think is a bargain! Where do we place ourselves on sale? I say to my clients,  "If you NEED something, and you know how you're going to use it... and you know where its going to live in your home and you're willing to go into a high-end store and pay full price for it... then buy it!"

Because we don't trust that we will be provided for?  I may need it someday! However when the day comes, it's old, it's rusted, you can't find it.

When we have to carry, pack and haul our own stuff, quickly we can see what is really important. I spent two years traveling without a car and two years with and it was much easier to travel with just a 22" suitcase and backpack then it was a car. Why? Because in a car you can always add more stuff! In a suitcase, it fits or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you leave it behind!

There's no judgement. It's simply an observation. And I know from the work ETL does, that folks aren't ready until they're ready. It's been true in my own personal journey. It's just interesting to me how many people on the 2016 Summer of Hope Tour are dealing or not dealing with their stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment