Sunday, July 10

GUILT CAN COME ALONG WITH SELF-CARE


While I talk and write about self care, guilt free, it is certainly something that I continue to practice for myself.

In dealing with the tenants in the Riverbend Retreat House, I find myself feeling guilty about wanting the tenants to move out. I consult with a friend of mine who has a lot of practice in home rentals. She’s been encouraging me to take the legal steps to get them out. I continue to make up excuses as to why “They’re not that bad!” I’m sharing with you this recent email that she sent to me. Maybe there is something in it that will help release some guilt that you may be feeling.

"Don't feel guilty doing what is best for you. I realized this morning with one of my own issues is that I feel guilty doing what is best for me. Why do we always want to help someone else out at the expense of putting ourselves last. I am feeling guilty filing a claim with my insurance company, like I should pay for the repair out of pocket myself, instead of filing the claim for the insurance to cover it. Yet that is what I pay insurance premiums for. Why do I feel guilty asking them to pay? I think it applies very similar to what you are feeling. I don't think we should put ourselves in a worse situation, while helping someone else, who obviously doesn't care. For example; I don't think the insurance company really cares that I file a claim. Just like I don't think the tenants care that you get paid each month for living in your home. Otherwise, they would have paid their July rent. Please just go through with the eviction process. It is tough to do this, but it will be quicker than doing it any other way.”

In taking care of ourselves, it may be helpful to think of it as taking care of the little ones inside of us. This takes the focus off of you (perceived selfishness) and you’re still helping others….in a sense, (YOU!)

No comments:

Post a Comment