Monday, May 31

Part 7 - The Inca Trail























The question has been asked? Did I get a t-shirt for making this trek? NO! But what I did get was this incredible view....the last one in Machu Picchu at night. Pretty incredible. As I was trying to keep up with the tour guide as he was running down the trail, in the near dark to try and make the bus, I was consciously trying to place my feet on the stones paving the path so as not to twist an ankle. One last stop and my picture was taken overlooking Machu Picchu. I arrived...the last on the bus and I sat next to my son. I was exhausted; emotionally & physically. Tears began to roll down my cheeks. I tried to tell him about my rush to try and make the bus, but I had to stop...I said, "I can't talk about this right now, there's not enough oxygen to cry!" There was not enough oxygen to take a breath in. We arrived at our hostel and had a meeting for the next day. My son wanted to climb Waynapicchu....you see...that really big mountain in the background! Not one other person on the tour wanted to go! After taking 4 extra strength tylenol so I could move....I asked the question...."Do you think I could make it?" The guide looked at me and said, "Anything is possible!" So dinner, which I didn't eat...still not feeling well...sleep and up at 5:30AM to be one of the first 400 to climb Waynapicchu!

1 comment:

  1. The best story ever!!!!! I think the t-shrt should have a photo of you there lying on the bed after your hike! LOL, love you!

    ReplyDelete