Monday, May 24

Part 2 - The Inca Trail


Our guides told us that we will be hiking straight up hill for 2 hours! 2hours! Straight uphill, in the hottest part of the day, in a very high altitude, (translation, not much oxygen!), and carrying a backpack with snacks, water and supplies as we will be spending the night in a little town nearby. Now what part of this would appear hard? I live in Northern California and the trail reminded me of hiking the Yuba River during the summer. Thank God I had bought a hat and my son had bought me a shaman hiking stick in a little town before we arrived.
I quickly fell to the rear and God knew I would kill myself trying to 'save face' and keep up with the group, so a younger girl, ended up with me in the rear. I asked her, "Why did you decide to hike the Inca Trail?" "My husband and I hike all the time." She asked me why had I decided to come. "I still feel like I'm 19 years old in my head." "Well good for you," she said encouragingly. I found myself resting in all of the shade of the bushes along the side of the trail. My backpack felt extremely heavy! Our tour guide kept asking me if I was OK. "I think I should go back and take the train!" "No possible"...he says in spanish. He offered to carry my backpack for awhile. Typically, I would have refused, but I could see no other way of making it, without some kind of respite. So, now, it's just me and my water bottle!

No comments:

Post a Comment