Wednesday, May 26

Part 4 The Inca Trail


I still wondered how I was going to make it uphill to the first ruin, let alone climb the steps to the top of the ruin. Since my back pack was waiting for me at the rest place, I had to figure out something. I'd have to lighten my load. What in my back pack could I let go of? Was leaving things along side of the trail considered littering? Well, after another 10 minutes in the heat, it didn't matter, things had to go! What could I let go of? Well, the apples they gave us were the heaviest and I was sick to my stomach, (altitude and heat and as I look back dehydration) the apples, bananas, cookies and crackers all were left at the side of the trail. I said a prayer, that someone was going to come along and be really grateful to have them! More minutes, more rests, more sips of water....what else can I let go of? The sunscreen. We'd already put it on, it was a big heavy tube....bye, bye. A few more minutes, there's got to be more...Pati, can't you let go of the rest of the food you brought? Fine! But not the beef jerky! It was light and it was protein. Crackers, nuts, etc...left on the side of the trail. Well, certainly it's not raining, the poncho was the next to leave. Well, it worked, the back pack was lighter. More stops, resting in the shade of the bushes and more sips of water. (So far, I hadn't even gone through (1) 12 ounce bottle. More praying and I was at the first ruin. OMG, you want me to climb where? Counting 1,2,3...come on Pati, 10 steps and then you can rest! Then 10 more, and 10 more and Whew! I'm at the top. I'm sick....there's a camping hostel for a short potty break, another sip of water and keep on truckin'.

still uphill to our first ruin still more uphill to the second.

1 comment:

  1. so did you get a t shirt or anything for making it to the top??

    ReplyDelete