Wednesday, March 23

ST PATRICK’S DAY - DUBLIN, IRELAND 2011

For some reason, the pictures I’m trying to upload here in Ireland aren’t working, so you’ll have to take my word for it...St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin was amazing, exhausting, and FUN!

It was while I was on the plane to Ireland, that I realized that I would be in Ireland for St. Patrick’s Day. Near the end of the flight, I began speaking to the lady sitting in my row, only to find out that for the first time in her life, she was volunteering for the parade. “I want to do that!” I exclaimed. It took a bit of organization for me to get myself sorted in order to be in Dublin on the day of festivities and everyone that I knew here in Ireland was, "staying home!” I have to admit that attending parades etc. where I live isn’t that interesting to me either...however...it’s 2011 and I’m in Ireland! Party TIme! (If your name is a derivative of Patrick, you could get into the Guinness Party for free!)

Now, I had not seen, nor spoken to this lady I had met on the plane, since the day I met her. However trusting things would open up, I took the train to Dublin, (certainly panty twisting was involved), spent the night in a hotel and the next morning was trying to figure out what I was going to do next. I ended up on a bus to Maynooth, where my friend is a professor, knowing that he was in England. Not having any idea why I was going there except that it was 8 in the morning and it was familiar, my backpack, suitcase and I climbed on the bus and headed for the college. I hopped off the bus and made my way to the reception area of the college and asked if they would mind my luggage. I walked to town, had a sandwich, a cup of tea and began feeling like a victim, waiting for someone to call and rescue me!

The anxiety of the unknown that happens for me periodically on my vision quests began to arise and so I asked myself, “What do you want to do, where do you want to go?” I knew instantly, “I want to see the Leprechaun Museum in Dublin!” So I marched myself back to the college, retrieved my things and hopped back on the bus, heading for Dublin. It was on the bus ride back into Dublin that I received a text, “I have a job for you at the parade, you can stay with me.” (Another, letting go, before things open up.)

I spent the day in Dublin by myself, after dropping off my luggage at the hotel I had previously stayed at. It was 8PM before I was able to connect with my new friend. I found my way to the volunteer center for the parade and helped with the Shamrock pins, where I met my friend. The next AM, bright and early we took a taxi into the city and we worked the area for the dignitaries of the parade. We were escalator supervisors:) and then walked them to the grand stand for the parade viewing. I found myself walking down the middle of the parade route with the final group, including a Boxing Champion and well known TV personality. I then watched the entire parade from the area next to the grand stands. Later on the TV, I could see the politicians and well known people who were very gracious towards me.

It was really an amazing experience, simply because I had volunteered. Now granted, I could have served in any capacity, but someone was watching out for me. While I never plan to attend another St. Patrick’s Day Parade, while walking down the parade route with 550,000 people cheering was quite an experience.

I knew from my last visit with my shaman that this trip was going to be like getting a PHD from the School of Life, in Transition and I saw walking down the middle of the parade route as my support system, on all levels, cheering....you’re doing great! !

2 comments:

  1. so fun! cant wait to see the photos when they finally load up! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deb,
    I’m noticing the time your commented: 11:11PM....Lots of double numbers are coming up....the angels are watching;-)

    One thing about the pictures....I lost my camera:-( Well, I’m hoping it will find its way back home anyway.....I will have a few pictures from the time I left my friend for the week driving around the island. While I hadn’t downloaded them onto the computer, we had gone to the camera store and printed him off some. He’s going to have them scanned and emailed to me.....thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete