Thursday, January 9

WHAT IS YOUR LOVE LANGUAGE?


I've discovered that one of the most important things in life is clear-direct communication. The only thing more important than being able to communicate your ideas, wants and desires clearly is knowing what it is that you want to communicate. But let's save that for a future blog. 

For now, let's talk about love languages. I first heard about this many years ago when I read a book by the same title by author Gary Chapman. It was life changing for me. One of the real issues in relationships, is that we often speak different languages. 

For instance, if you want to say "I love you," to me, you'd do something with me, spend time with me. Of course, I love affection and kind words, but spending time with me is right there at the top of my list of what makes me feel loved. Where in contrast, what I would rate as number 5 on my list, gifts, my ex-husband would have rated as number one. So he might buy me a gift, thinking he was speaking my love language, when in fact, he was speaking his.

You can see how innocently people can get their wires crossed. Maybe it would be a great thing to do at the start of this new year to rate your love language and have everyone in your family, including your children, to do the same. Once we know what is important to another, we can begin speaking in a language that they're familiar with. 


No comments:

Post a Comment