Sunday, September 25

GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN!



My first official speaking conference! The topic, Control is just the setting on the washing machine! How by letting go of our perceptions and expectations, God is free to work, even when it seems like He’s out for a smoke!

What I was reminded of were two things. !. I only talk about what i need to hear 2. Be careful what you talk about, as you’ll get many first hand experiences to drive your point home and 3. It’s not about the ‘conference’ or the publishing of a book, or whatever for that matter....it’s just all part of my life’s journey and I’d better enjoy the ride!

My GPS book was not in print for the conference. We were now 15 days into the publishing and still no book! The spine of the cover was off, the holiday came, my designer went away, the list was endless....but i won’t bore you. The bottom line, I was able to get 1 proof sent to my sister’s house in LA (where the conference was being held). When I arrived, still no book. I coincidentally talked to my son in Grass Valley that evening. “There’s a package here for you!” Yep, the book! There was absolutely no reason that the book should have been delivered there. I had never used that address with this company. I said this to him. Maybe you’re supposed to be here. He and his girlfriend drove through the night so the book could have it’s debut. (And it was lovely to have them with me!)

I am making a perpetual calendar....was it done....NO! We also have an iphone and android app....were they uploaded...of course not! It became comical. I announced to my two friends who had accompanied me, “We’re going to go and have FUN and anything else will be a bonus!"

I walked into my session with the incomplete calendar in my hands with a spiral hanging off the side....like a slinky toy!
I simply said, “Has anyone seen the movie “Little Miss Sunshine?” Many nods....I got down on one knee, held up this laughable handiwork that I was trying to create and said, “Please, you have no idea what I’ve been through to get here!”

Out of 25 in my session half came by and bought a book, which is double what is ‘normal.’
One woman said, I loved what you were talking about, it’s definitely ‘edgy.’ I thought that was really telling about our beliefs in ministry, I know they were certainly my old beliefs.

One nun said, life is about sacrifice. She gave the example of the sacrifice parents make for their families. I agree, there is a time for sacrifice, but service to others comes after service to self....even the airlines tell us to put on our masks before helping anyone else! We can’t give what we don’t have!

One woman came by the table and said how much she enjoyed my workshop and asked would I be at the LA Congress? (40,000 people in attendance) Sr. Edith, the Sr. who got me into this conference was standing there and said, “She’ll be there next year!”
YAHOO!!!!

While I learned lots and met lovely people, but most importantly....we did have FUN!

Thank you all for your support to get ETL to this point.....I love you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment