Tuesday, September 13

A LITTLE TOO MUCH NATURE!



OK, I talk a lot about seeing the Divine in everything, including nature. Well, I’ve had just about enough nature for awhile!

It all began this spring. I was in Nevada City and I spent several days with a snake living by the front step...after my initial heart attack, she helped to me get over my extreme fear of snakes. Don’t get me wrong, we’re still not friends, but it was an opportunity to stay present rather than run for the hills...Then...at the same house...my friend’s washing machine is outside...I did a load of laundry and as I pulled the clean clothes out...so jumped a frog! Heavens to Betsy! Give me a break! How does a frog go through the wash cycle and come out rejuvenated!

Back in AZ, I’ve had the pleasure of seeing bats up close and personal...again, not ever having the opportunity before, I was less than embracing. Again, after I got over my initial fear, I was able to come to terms and be with them. One little guy burrowed himself in the crack by the front door. Hearing many derogatory stories about bats, I didn’t know what to expect. It was quite cute, with his brown fur. My daughter picked him up with a dust pan and moved him to the garden. Certainly something was wrong as bats need to take flight from a high place. He screamed as she moved him and he made his way back onto the porch clinging to a planter. He did die of course. I had a little ceremony for him...the sacrifice of the bat...death and rebirth....everyday living. I laid him to rest in an old saguaro cactus whose top had deteriorated to make a perfect burial place for the bat.

Finally, now and then lizards come inside the house. I’ve been very clear with the munchkins....no one in the house or even on the veranda....One little lizard found his way into the master bath...I decided to let him find his own way out...A day or so went by and I had forgotten about him. I went to brush my teeth one morning and as I put my toothbrush back into the cup...guess who popped out! Yep! Scared the bajeezus out of me!

I like to think that he was helping me to help him....get back outside. He knew I wasn’t going to pick him up! I put a cover over the glass and carried him out!

While I know we’re all one...we all inhabit this earth together....I still don’t like sharing my space with the critters!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment