Tuesday, September 13

WARNING: HAVE VACUUM...WILL USE!!!






It’s been nearly a year since I’ve been here in the desert....off and on....and one of the things that has been most interesting is watching the different species of insects and bugs. They are born with full force and within a short period of time...they live their life cycle, disappear and a new variety appears!

We (the bugs, critters and I) have an agreement....No one is allowed in the house or on the veranda....it’s simply a boundary issue! So, my vacuum cleaner never gets put away...it’s always in the ready position!

The infestation of turquoise beetle came and went. They ate all of the apples on the tree....when I walked out to the tree, all I could see were millions of tiny little butts in the air, while their little faces buried deep in the apples....they were fine and contained as long as I left them alone!

Scorpions....several in the house...the best time to see them is late at night....and then turn the light on....I don’t go out searching for them...but when they appear, I simply turn on the switch.

My daughter was visiting and as she went into the garage, she calmly (not so calmly) said, “Mom, come to the garage now...QUICKLY....RIGHT NOW!.. Well, I had not seen a tarantula up close and personal before. But there she was....too big to be vacuumed up! Now what? No shovels around...no one to help....(Deb!!! My old housecleaning buddy! Where are you?)....I just got the broom and swept her out....I felt bad about it later....but I remembered the boundaries I had set up....no one in the house or veranda....guess I forgot to mention the garage.

Most days, I vacuum the house and porch and if I’ve been gone overnight, I cautiously open the door...wondering whose come to call?

The June Bugs (not in June) made their debut. Tons, everywhere! I did an experiment and even with all of the windows and doors closed, they still found their way inside! I began by vacuuming them, but as their numbers decreased, I began to feel sorry for them. Once they get on their backs, they’re finished...their little feet move in the air as they appear to be walking. So I began turning them over, putting them on the porch, pointing their little heads towards the garden...I found myself laughing one morning as I had lined up 5 with instructions to move forward....within a minute they had all turned around and were headed back to the house!

Cleaning the porch, I noticed one had been caught in a spider web but was still alive. I have no idea what possessed me to save him! But I did....not sure it was the best thing to do! Once out of the web, he couldn’t move and so I began to peel the sticky spider web from his body...not good enough...his little legs were covered as well....So I picked him up, by his body and tried to get the web off without injuring his legs...He was free...The purpose??? I don’t know...a mirror for me? Where am i stuck? What is keeping me from moving forward?

Anyway, the moths....we’ll they’re always kind of around. I live in an authentic Mexican Hacienda...and the windows have no screens, only bars....when I leave on a light they all come to visit....What? Do they think it’s Motel 6...”We’ll leave the light on for you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment