Monday, April 11

PERCEPTIONS

Once again, people’s different perceptions comes into my awareness. We all have our own ideas of words, places and things.

For example: Recently I was driving to Las Vegas to move some furniture and transfer cars. However, whenever I told anyone that I was going to Las Vegas, well, you can imagine the comments! Most of them were of hooping it up, gambling, drinking, shows and “Whatever happens in Las Vegas, stays in Las Vegas...kind of attitude!” Even the man at the gas station only 2 hrs from Las Vegas, made such comments. Now the reality was that we were moving furniture, cleaning and organizing. Not quite the same picture is it.

The same was true about my recent Vision Quest, in Switzerland/Ireland. It was thought of by most as a vacation. It was definitely not! It takes conscious awareness, staying present in every moment, to move through a walkabout. Just to mention that I was there for St. Patrick’s Day brought up many different, Mardi Gras, like comments. It’s not how it was for me at all, but that was the general thought that most others had of my trip in general. Living in the moment, I was in regular panty twists, where am I going, how am I going to get there, where will I be staying, missing at times, the familiarity of where I had just left.

I thought back to a job a couple of years ago. I had told the owner that I was computer literate. I was from my viewpoint. I could do most anything that I needed to and what I couldn’t figure out, I would ask. Several months into the job, it was brought to my attention that I had possibly fabricated a bit about my computer expertise. I listened to the concerns. I thought about it and realized that I was computer literate from my experience. However, this was a younger woman, an electronic wiz, I was used to a PC, we were using Apples, and so to her, it looked like I didn’t know anything, to me, it felt like someone had put a demon in the computer. Things were just enough different that I felt like I didn’t know anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment