Friday, November 5

HOLIDAY SANITY


The holidays are once again upon us. I know for myself as a young adult, I tried to bend myself around the plans of others. However, now much older and wiser:) I no longer feel like I need to do things that don't bring me joy, in order to make other people happy. By the way it's happiness from my perspective not theirs.
This holiday season perhaps you could 'check in' with yourself and ask the questions 'What would bring me joy and make me smile?' You may need to think outside the box a bit. It may feel a bit awkward at first. Holidays in my family traditionally were about our little children and our family of origin. It was a very happy time. But then things began to change as things always do. Children began to grow up, siblings moved and parents crossed over to the next life. So what are you supposed to do now? Take care of yourself, that's what! Decide what do you want to do for the holidays.....your imagination is the limit! After my life dramatically changed, I went to a wedding of a child of my close friend of mine. Of course I was a basket case. Another close friend said to me, "What in the hell were you thinking? You can't go to stuff like that right now! It will just make you feel bad about yourself!" He was correct! So the next wedding that I attended, I learned how to support others and still take care of myself...I arrived at the church just before everyone went inside (so everyone felt my love and support) and stood in the back of the church. After the bride walked in, I walked out. No one even missed me. So the point is...take care of yourself....do only what you can do with joy! Have fun! It's your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment