Friday, July 29

Journey to Half Dome - Yosemite (Part 1)

Who know when the invitation for six individual women to hike Half Dome arrived what each individual's experience would hold.

Years ago two of my friends and I went to the Kartchner Caverns in Arizona and it was enlightening to me to later discover that all of our experiences had been different. Chris, being a woman of science had a very scientific experience. Teddy, had just come along to accompany us and his experience was one of enjoying the moment of it all. While I had a very spiritual encounter.

That was the invitation the mountain held for us. She beckoned, "Will you come, without any judgments or expectations and embrace all that I have to offer?"

So six courageous women... different ages... different walks of life... and different life experiences all came together for a not yet known... pilgrimage to be Embraced by the Breath of God, as one put it.

Of course, starting off it was simply an adventure... a personal challenge for each... I can do it... I WILL DO IT!! Twenty miles round trip... we started at the trail head at 5AM and returned to the car at 9PM! Eight miles... straight up with a 4,800 foot elevation gain made the trek... what's a word that means more than challenging? Oh... HELLA HARD!!!!!

Now of course,  had I been training like my GI-Jane friend had be encouraging, perhaps it would have not been quite so tough. So while I was walking everyday, I just couldn't get motivated to climb stairs and do pushups! Sorry...  I wish I was... I really wish I was! But, I rationalized,  I've hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu  (watch the video) and Waynapichui (watch the video) in Peru and while it nearly killed me... I did it! So, I was confident that I could do this too!

Because of my Peruvian experience, the heat, humidity and high altitude, I knew that I wasn't going to carry ANYTHING in my backpack!! Then for sure I could do it! Oh.... except for the gallon of water and food GI Jane insisted I pack along! Holy Crap! In Peru I ended up, just like Hansel and Gretel, leaving everything in my pack along the side of the trail, trusting that someone would come along and exclaim, "Wow! Just what I need!" (To Be Continued)

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment